[blfs-support] cups-filters-1.21.1 with Poppler-0.69.0 does not build
Christopher Gregory via blfs-support
2018-11-03 12:27:49 UTC
Hello,

I am going through another complete build on a new ssd drive and found an issue with building cups-filters against Poppler-0.69.0. I do not have the exact error anymore, as I remembered that I had an
issue with an earlier build, and an earlier version of cups-filters and Poppler-0.67.0, that required a small patch from the developers to build.

I downgraded to Poppler-0.67.0 on this current build and was successfully able to build and install cups-filters-1.21.1 without any patches needed.

The issue with the no-build also occurs on the latest version of poppler, though it is a completely different error from the one needing the patch.

Perhaps someone else can attempt to build the current book version of Poppler and cups-filters-1.21.1 and see if it builds for them, and if not, is there a solution to this new error, as I sure have not
been able to find it.

Regards,

Christopher.
Bruce Dubbs via blfs-support
2018-11-03 16:39:50 UTC
Post by Christopher Gregory via blfs-support
[...]
cups-filters releases too frequently for us to update the development
book every time upstream makes a new release. The current upstream
version of cups-filters is 1.21.3. Try that.

-- Bruce
Christopher Gregory via blfs-support
2018-11-03 22:16:11 UTC
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2018 at 5:39 AM
Subject: Re: [blfs-support] cups-filters-1.21.1 with Poppler-0.69.0 does not build
[...]
Hello Bruce,

Sadly I already have tried it with the same results, ie not able to build it. They have, from what I can see re-written the code from the earlier version of cups-filters that needed the patch, but sadly do not yet seem to have got it correct with the newer version of Poppler.

Regards,

Christopher.
Ken Moffat via blfs-support
2018-11-03 22:55:34 UTC
Post by Christopher Gregory via blfs-support
Hello Bruce,
Sadly I already have tried it with the same results, ie not able to build it. They have, from what I can see re-written the code from the earlier version of cups-filters that needed the patch, but sadly do not yet seem to have got it correct with the newer version of Poppler.
Regards,
Christopher.
Sadly, poppler is a moving target. I will note that TeXlive hopes
to drop its dependency on it next year. Meanwhile, many packages
that use it continue to get broken by newer versions.

ĸen
--
Is it about a bicycle ?
Wayne Blaszczyk via blfs-support
2018-11-03 23:02:12 UTC
[...]
The attached patch is what I use in my build.
See https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/commit/6b0747c1630dd973acd138f927dbded4ea45e360

Regards,
Wayne.
Christopher Gregory via blfs-support
2018-11-04 09:59:28 UTC
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2018 at 12:02 PM
[...]
The attached patch is what I use in my build.cups-filters-1.21.3
See https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/commit/6b0747c1630dd973acd138f927dbded4ea45e360
Regards,
Wayne.
Hello Wayne,

Thanks for the patch it does indeed make both cups-filters-1.21.3 compile and install against Poppler-0.69.0.

I first applied the patch to cups-filters-1.21.3 and tested the build against Poppler-0.71.0, which is now the newest upstream, and guess what? yet another patch is going to be required!!! as it does not
build.

Regards,

Christopher.